Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Look Back

I've been at work now for just over 4 weeks. Its been a little rough getting back into things. I have been switched from the Lovenox shots to Coumadin. Its nice not getting the pokes but its beginning to be a pain going to Dr. Rich's office once a week to check my INR. I guess its better than the alternative.
The last round of chemotherapy seemed close to a dream. I never thought that I would get that far. Its wierd looking at it that I was glad for it to arrive. It seemed so distant, almost unreachable. After all the boring and painful previous rounds, it seemed like I would never make it to the last round. When I got into those last few days, I knew half of UVRMC. The valet parking attendants became friendlier everyday that we came. My favorite food was the ham and eggs breakfast sandwich from the cafe. Both Jamie and Kelly, the nurses, would ask where Avery is if her and Jacqui didn't walk in to the treatment room. I see who was important to them. :) Even some of the other cancer patients knew Avery and liked to see her face when she came in. She would growl and squeel. It would give the patients one reason to smile while in the doctor office.
This coming Monday, November 7th, my three year anniversary, I will be getting my post-chemo CT scan. I hope that things are going to come out in my favor. The next day, the 8th, I will meet with Dr. Stephenson to discuss the results from the scan and setup my surgery. Let's hope that its only a quick surgery to remove the stent in my ureter.
Overall, the chemotherapy sucked. I hope no one else I know has to go through it. After the fact, the memories fade some, and the pain is forgotten. There still are some things that are permanent, but well worth being cancer free.
As a side note, we were both unsuccessful Deer hunting this year. All weekend Val would preface his comments with 'Back when there used to be deer here' :) There will always be next year.

1 comment:

  1. Wow you are one tough cookie! I am so glad for you and Jacqui that your chemo is over. I am always praying for your wonderful little family and think of you guys often. If you ever need anything or want to get together let me know :)

    ReplyDelete