Thursday, August 18, 2011

Just a little behind...

The last thing that I have wanted to do for a while is get onto the computer and write. I guess I should since I am three weeks behind.
The first round of chemo kicked my butt. The side effects were almost unbearable. Between the thrush and throat aching with every bit or drink, and the inability to sleep, I wanted to say screw chemo and just cut out the tumor. After some support from Jacqui, and some changes to the medications, I was able to get over the sore throat. I got that problem fixed just in time to be admitted to the hospital on the 6th of August. My fevers were uncontrollable and my WBC dropped to zero. I spent a week at UVRMC, on the most uncomfortable bed, with some of the worst nurses I have ever had. By Thursday I was ready to discharge myself and work this out at home. They gave me three nupegin shots to get my WBC back up. The shots worked, but the nurses are heartless. They know that previous patients have told them that the shot burns and to go slow. They want to get out of the small room and back to the break room. I also developed a pulmonary embolism in my right lung. Just to add more problems. So now I give myself anticoagulant shots twice a day, and have to be on oxygen. Its really hard to stay positive when there seems to be more problems starting than being corrected.
This week is my second round of chemo. Other than my inability to sleep still, I am doing much better. I made it into work for five hours on Monday. Tuesday my infusion went a little late, and it had already been a long day. Wednesday I had my portacath implanted, which was by far the worst surgery of my life. The nurse said the sedative would help me relax and make it so I don't care that someone is cutting into my chest or poking me. Well, it didn't work, and I was very coherent during the 'simple' procedure. The lidocaine was the worst part. They jammed it into my skin and stirred it around. The nurse said he would be where I could see him and talk to him, but he left. I had a drape over my face so I had a small window to look out. I have been doing very well with keeping my emotions in check through this last month of new cancer treatment. During that port placement, I lost it. I couldn't hold back the tears. It hurt so bad, and I couldn't do anything about it. When the nurse saw the pain that I was in, he gave me more sedation, but it was too late. The procedure was over.
They wheeled me to the recovery room, and I laid on the bed with the worst chest pain I have ever had. After a short recovery time, I made my way to Dr. Rich's office to get another day of chemo. The port was very nice to have. I am glad that I was able to get it, but not under the circumstances that I did. I don't have any of the weird tastes that some people complain about. I get a slight smell when they flush it with saline or heparin, but no sensory overload.
Tomorrow will be the last day of round two of four. Then saturday I go to IV Therapy for a Neulasta shot. This time is to prevent my WBC from dropping. This is hopes that I don't have to spend another week in hell-UVRMC. So far, this round is much better. Once I get the sleeping problems under control, I will be much better at getting through the next two rounds of chemo.

No comments:

Post a Comment